Thursday, July 1, 2010

Property Of

I recently wrote an article for Stunt'N with regards to the concept of Property in the Biker Community and in Society as a whole. As stated in the article, initially I was totally taken aback. Skipp tried to explain the concept to me numerous times, and I just couldn't see the benefit in any shape, fashion, or form...So he put me in contact with a woman who has been Property Of  in the Biker community for over 20 years, and invited me to spend a weekend in Atlanta attending the James Gang Anniversary Jjune 18 & 19, 2010. After speaking to this woman, I had a different opinion. Perhaps hearing it from a woman's perspective put things in alignment. I was more open to it, and prepared for what to expect during my visit...

WELLLL let me say, after my visit, I proudly wear my colors, (yes I have colors) and totally understand the solidarity, the protection, the openess, & the adventure that comes with being Property Of.  At the Anniversary party I met women who were full members of both Coed and all Female Motorcycle Clubs. While gathering research for this months article in Stunt'N I came across numerous articles, blogs, and websites for Coed Motorcycle Clubs dealing with issues of mutual respect of the female members. I also came across an equal amount of information pertaining to all Female Clubs having difficulting gaining respect from their male counterparts in all Male and Coed Clubs. I received the upmost respect and courtesy as Property Of  Skipp (James Gang). There was no need to prove myself or my worth to anyone.


Now, I don't know if Biker men overall are different when socializing within the Biker community than they are in their day to day lives. I do know, however, that there is a HUGE difference between the Outlaw Biker and a Social Setting Biker. This I can say from my own personal experiences, up to & including weekend of June 19th. Friday night was a Meet & Greet at the James Gang Clubhouse. Although I was not in Colors although all the other Properties were, I had very few encounters of Male Bikers being too friendly or disrespectful. The other women (with the exception of one) were extremely friendly and welcoming. Nuff respect to Chris and Sunshine(of James Gang MC) and Hollywood (of Strikers MC)for welcoming me into the Fold with open arms.


I look forward to my next vist to the Atlanta area. Although I live in the New York Tri-State Area, I find myself rocking my Colors, proudly and scoffing at the Biker Boys in this area who have no clue. Oh, I take the time to enlighten them, as I was. The Bike Scene is so much different in this area than what I was exposed to in Atlanta. I find that I prefer the Motorcycle culture in Atlana and the South becuase it seems to be it's own Culture,  Lifestyle, something that extends well beyond a hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia, this was a good post! and truly enlightening! I used to think quite the same as you and shied away from even THINKING about attending a biking event. Thanks for opening my eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete